You will be allowed to work as soon as the officer at the point of entry to Canada grants you admission as a permanent resident. You do not have to wait until you have received your Permanent Resident Card or Social Insurance Number.

I have received my permanent resident visa and the Confirmation of Permanent Residence form (IMM5292). How soon after I enter Canada am I legally authorized to work?