A work permit or study permit gives a foreign national permission to work or study temporarily in Canada.

In most cases, the foreign national must apply to a Canadian Embassy, High Commission, or Consulate abroad for a work permit or study permit before leaving for Canada. Once the application is accepted, the foreign national receives a letter informing him/her of the acceptance and authorizing him/her to proceed to Canada to work or study (or both).

The permit itself is printed and given to the foreign national by the immigration officer at the point of entry to Canada (airport or border crossing).

What is a work permit? What is a study permit?